ANST - Irish Pronunciation

Quest Quest at 1starnet.com
Wed Mar 3 13:10:55 PST 1999

I grow increasingly uncertain of what I think I'm understanding when I
read.

Quoted from:  http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/reaneyAG.html

><given name> <byname, lenited> ingen <as above>

>The parent's name must appear in the genitive case - because it
>is in a genitive relationship to "ingen" - and is lenited - because
it
>modifies a feminine noun: ingen. Bynames used after a feminine given
>name will also be lenited for this reason.

This preceded a list of common bynames, so I understood it to indicate
that I should pick a given name, a byname, and if I use "ingen," my
father's name.  I do keep hearing that bynames were not common at the
time (1530's).  Which is correct?

Meanwhile, I still have no grasp of "lenited," how's and when's of
use, or correct pronunciation.  Beginning to feel a bit boggled, but I
thank you all for your suggestions.

~ Rebecca