ANST - Irish Pronunciation

Lady Simone margiejr at sprintmail.com
Wed Mar 3 22:01:13 PST 1999

Greetings,

names in Gailghe, consist of usualy 3 parts. <given name><by
Name><sir's/clan name>

>The name I have tenatively chosen is Aife Binnech ingen Liath.
>Alternately, I also like Annora, Elisant, Ravenild, Brecc, Aine,
>Elige, and Erennach.

I have removed those names that are not Gailghe to give you a listing of
possible combinations of names with thier proper spellings and pronuciation.
and how they more than likely would have looked if writen down in the 1200's
along with a list of names that can be combined with an Irish sir/clan name.
those not listed here are ones not normaly founf in the Gaileghe, or in use
as a proper name in Ierland

In Bynames for women "Inghean" = Daughter of, and "Inghean ui" = Daughter of
male decendent of (denotes clan or family) the "o" for a By name is normaly
found post 1200 ad

Ai fe Inghean Lugaid (EE fi  EH-ghen LOO-gayd)
Ai fe Inghean ui Lugdach (EE fi EH-ghen OI LOOH-dech)

Aoife Inghean Lugaid (EE-fa  EH-ghen LOO-gayd)
Aoife Inghean ui Lugdach (EE-fa EH-ghen OI LOOH-dech)

Aine Inghean Lugaid (AWN-ya  EH-ghen LOO-gayd)
Aine Inghean ui Lugdach (AWN-ya EH-ghen OI LOOH-dech)

E rennach Inghean Lugaid (AHY RAH-nock  EH-ghen LOO-gayd)
E rennach ui Lugdach (AHY RAH-nock EH-ghen OI LOOH-dech)

Eireann Inghean Lugaid (AIR-awyn  EH-ghen LOO-gayd)
Eireann Inghean ui Lugdach (AIR-awyn EH-ghen OI LOOH-dech)

Of Alternate Given Names you Have chosen that have a osibbility of being
linked together after the 1200's are

Annora Inghean Lugaid (ah-NOR-ah  EH-ghen LOO-gayd)
Annora Inghean ui Lugdach (ah-NOR-ah EH-ghen OI LOOH-dech)

Breice Inghean Lugaid (BURR-eess  EH-ghen LOO-gayd)
Breice Inghean ui Lugdach (BURR-eess EH-ghen OI LOOH-dech)

Briennah(Breinnan/Brian dirivitave) Inghean Lugaid (BREE-nah-nah EH-ghen
LOO-gayd)
Breinnah Inghean ui Lugdach (BREE-nah-nah EH-ghen OI LOOH-dech)

Bibliogrophy

Sloinnte Gaedheal is Gall: Irish Names and Surnames by Patrick Woulfe
(Dublin: M. H. Gill & Son, Ltd, 1923). A good source for Irish clan
affiliation bynames

M.A. O'Brien's Corpus Genealogiarum Hiberniae, a collection of Irish
genealogical material from the pre-Norman period (i.e., roughly pre-12th
century). These can be used to form an Irish clan affiliation byname

Irish Names by Donnchadh Ó Corráin and Fidelma Maguire, 2nd ed. (Dublin: The
Lilliput Press, 1990). [Another edition has the title Gaelic Names.]
Currently the best printed source for medieval Irish Gaelic given names.
Many of the masculine names can be used to form an Irish clan affiliation
byname

Lady Simone O'Dunlaing