ANST - Boffer guidelines...

Sean Bartholome okami69 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 10:56:03 PST 1999

Sir Lyonel, and Ansteorra,

>>>* Weapons may be covered with single layer, loosely wrapped duct tape
>>>for support.
>>
>>I suggest using a cloth cover, it is lighter, and will sting less on
>>impact to bare, or cloth covered skin.  It will also last longer than
>>tape.  Tends to look nicer as well.
>
>Yes, it will sting less, but we're not using a solid core, so that
won't
>matter.  I don't like the look of the cloth covered boffers.  They tend
>to look loose and sloppy.

Someone already stated that cloth covers if done right look much better
than the loose and sloppy ones you are referring to.  Spandex/Lycra is
usually best, because it conforms to the shape of the boffer.  Also the
covers suggestion was intended to be for all boffer age groups, not just
the 6-9 group.

>>>* Protection is required for elbows, knees, feet and hands.
>>
>>I'm assuming elbow/knee pads, and shoes and gloves.
>
>I was assuming the same.  I don't think these kids need anything rigid
>on their joints yet, do they?

I don't know why you would need any kind of rigid joint protection for
any form of boffer combat.  Elbows and Knee pads would be great to avoid
getting any kind of possible injury from falling, or contact with the
other combatant.

>>>* Sternum protection is to be added if single-handed thrusting
weapons
>>>are to be used.
>>
>>This shouldn't be necessary, but might be a safe precaution.
>Especially
>>considering the coordination level of the young fighters.
>
>I have precisely the opposite critique.  We're talking about a very
>aggressive age group.  I think we should just make ternum protection
(at
>least over the xyphoid process) mandatory--period.

Thrusting is somewhat dangerous, especially if the core is somewhat
inflexible, twice as so, if a two-handed/pole weapon.  This is where
control and training come in.  So on a safety sense, I would agree, yet
we probably won't need it for the older kids.

>>>Weapons Construction:
>>>* All swords/ non-thrusting type/ must consist of:
>>>a. 1/2 inch I.D. PVC minimum.
>>
>>I suggest that the max psi rating to be no more than 400 psi.  I
>>personally recommend using 315 psi.  Another alternative is Fiber
glass
>>tubing, but that tends to be light.
>
>Okay, but why 400 psi?  Weight? Rigidity?

Yes weight and rigidity.  I've always used 315 psi. I have tried 400 and
even 600 psi, and yes the weight is somewhat more realistic, and feels
good to heft, but the resulting brick on a stick you know have would and
probably could hurt even an adult, much less a kid.  You would have to
require rigid protection very similar to rattan combat.  The only other
choice is to add more foam, which will start to look silly, and will
also had more weight, which will then be adding to the problem you
already have.

>>>b. Two layers of glass strapping tape.
>>>c. 1/2 inch foam extending 1 and 1/2 inch past tip of PVC
>>
>>How much foam between core and striking edge.  The minimum I would
>>suggest is 1.25" to 2".
>
>Why would you want 3" and 4" thick swords?  I've never seen anyone use
>more than 1" thick pipe insulation.

Agreed, and I have used less than 1.25" of foam, on some weapons, yet
the impact is dependent on the rigidity, diameter, and weight of the
core.  Usually the as those get higher, the more foam you will need to
pad the core.  My measurements, were just a good starting suggestion.

>>>* All shielding devices:
>>>a. MAY NOT BE USED AS OFENSIVE WEAPONS.
>>>b. Materials: wood, plastic, or aluminum.
>
>>I would suggest against wood.  Plastic/aluminum snow disks, and
>trashcan
>>lids make great round shields.  Plastic packing crates or other forms
>of
>>plastic or aluminium could be used for heaters and other similar long,
>>or bigger shields.  Madu's would be possible also.
>
>What's wrong with wood?  If treated properly, 1/4 inch plywood will be
>adequate, will lok better, and will last forever against boffers.
>
>As for madhus, why teach our children bad habits?  We're recreating
>medieval Europe, not the African bush.  Madhus would be terrific if our
>opponents weren't armored.

Wood can be used.  I would still suggest that it be padded, along the
edges and the front.  This is for occasional contact it might have with
the other combatant during a fight.   My other suggestions were
presented to introduce alternatives that are lighter and possibly safer.

Madu's if I'm not mistaken are a Middle Eastern weapon, not an African
one.  And considering the number of Middle Eastern personas, I don't
think it is an out of place weapon, on the tourney field, or in a war.

>>>c. All edges must be covered by tubing, leather, or foam.
>>
>>I would recommend at least 3/8" or more of padding on the front and
>>edges of the shield.  Padding will decrease any possible harm, but
>>accidental contact, plus it won't tear up the boffers as quickly.  I
>>also recommend that a cloth cover be used as well, just like the
>swords.
>
>We don't need to pad the face of the shields, and the loose cloth
covers
>Amptgarders use detract from the appearance of the shields.

Sounds like someone has something against Amtgard, and Amtgardians.  As
for the covering of shields, they are just like the weapons, if the
cover is done well made, and done correctly, it will look quite
spectacular.  This is a great opportunity for all of the sewing inclined
out there to try something new.  I've seen many a colorful shield cover,
apliqued, painted, etc.  Plus it protects the padding of the shield.

>>>* Full rigid frontal thrusting and lateral protection required, e.g.
>>>heavy leather, scaled leather, or metal or Kydex plate armor;
>>
>>This shouldn't be needed.  I've played for 13 years, and have never
>>needed it for myself.  I've seen youths from 14 years and older
playing
>>without any armor at all, and the most damage a boffer weapon has ever
>>caused was a bruise, and occasionally a scrape, if the core poked
>>through the foam.
>
>I'm not convinced.  We're trying to protect our kids and protect
>ourselves from culpability.  I don't see any problem with requiring
>cuirasses.  When they're 18, if they so desire, they can drop to
minimum
>armor.  For now, they can cover their ribs.

I would agree, if the boffers that I have seen being made before were
used.  I would want to have something covering my ribs.  I've seen
foam/duct-taped rattan boffers, very badly padded boffers, and boffers
that have been taped to much, or to compactly.  These aren't the boffers
I envision the youth of Ansteorra using.  If the boffer is made within a
reasonable safety envelope, then certain bodily protection would not be
needed.  I've heard of many a rib broken in rattan combat, by someone
wearing minimal, or even non-minimal armor.  Accidents will happen, all
we are trying to do is decrease that possibility.  Yes curiasses are
safer, but should they be required.

>>>* Two-handed thrusting weapons, e.g. spears, axes, glaives, etc. will
>>be
>>>used in this Youth division only.
>>>* All two-handed, thrusting type weapons must consist of:
>>>a.  Leather or rubber, covering 12 inches of thrusting end of PVC
with
>>>secured capped, tipped, or balled end.
>>>b. Foam and tape to be a minimum 2 and 1/2 inch in diameter and
extend
>>3
>>>inches past PVC. Striking tip shall also include one half split
tennis
>>>ball end or equivalent over foam on end.
>>>* Thrusting weapons require inspection for wear and cracks
immediately
>>>before each use.
>>
>>All good, except for the 3 inch extension past the core.  Will
probably
>>not need the tennis ball as long as the leather and foam is covering
>the
>>tip of the core.
>
>In this case, no.  Now we're talking about two-handed weapons.  Three
>inch thrusters is not excessive.

3" diameter or 3" past the end of core?  I guess having both wouldn't be
to bad.  I will admit the padding of pole arms and spears has always
been a concern, yet there are many good designs that have been developed
through the years.  The biggest concern is what to use for the core.
PVC tends to bend and whip at long lengths.  If you use a larger
diameter of pvc, say 1", that helps.  The main core I've seen used is
bamboo, of 1/2" to 1" diameter.  I've also experimented with larger
diameter of fiberglass kite spar for bastard/greatswords/glaives, with
good success.

Yours in service,

Sabishii Okami