ANST - Tournament of the Worthies

Amy Forsyth aforsyth at UH.EDU
Wed Mar 24 08:18:20 PST 1999

>> >Perhaps it's time to
>> >have another Tournament of the Nine Worthies....... What do you all
>> >think??!
>> >
>> >Waes Thu Hale kinfolk...
>> >Kief
>>
>> Provided that it can be done with similiar pageantry, spirit, and
style.....

>> YES.
>>
>> Adela

Adela again,

I've gotten a chance to look over the Southern Region mailing list archives
to see the background discussion about the ideas for reviving Worthies.

I do not like the ideas that have been proposed for using the 'worthies'
titles.

If I remember correctly, 9 Worthies, as it was done several years ago, was
patterned closely after how some tournaments were actually held in period.
[If I remember correctly, the names of the Worthies would vary from
tournament to tournament.]

What has been proposed [3 'worthies' for each tournament portion of the
overall event (ie. 3 chiv. worthies, 3 rapier worthies, 3 A&S worthies,
etc.) & a breakdown of the selection of the worthies being done as follows:
1 champion (ie. winner of the tournament), 1 by panel selection, 1 by
populace selection], doesn't follow the period pattern.

Worthies was an event focused upon Chivalric combat (this style of
tournament is not period for rapier combat).  It was a high-persona event
with incredible pageantry.

If you want to bring back Worthies as it was ---- a tournament based upon
how tournaments really were ran in period --- then I'm all for it.

If your wanting to simply use the titles.... I can't support it.

Adela