ANST - Re: Wanted--hyperkinetic warriors

Fri Mar 26 13:17:06 PST 1999

> I'm not sure what years folks were talking of when I heard this. It was
> apparently when there were only a half dozen groups in Texas and maybe
> only one or two in Oklahoma. Maybe when Ansteorra was still a
> principality.
> Similar comments have come up when debating principalities. It would be
> nice if someone who had the records could chart the event growth over
> the past 25 years.

In the mid 1970's, when dinosaurs rulled the earth and Ansteorra was one of
the distant principalities of Atenveldt, there were five groups in Texas
with two or three others either starting or soon to be started.  Oklahoma
had a group that had become defunct several years earlier and Namron became
the first long term, functioning group in the state, soon to joined by
Northkeep, which was being formed at the same time.  So, call it ten groups,
two major events per year plus 4 principality events, or 26 major events,
one every two weeks.

What usually doesn't get stated is if a body was willing to travel 500 to
1000 miles (one way), they could have attended events almost every weekend
in Atenveldt, despite the lower population and fewer groups.  Because of the
distances involved, kingdom-wide travel was limited and most of the events
attended were in Ansteorra.

> I remember at the last BG fall event everyone twiddling their fingers
> waiting for a peerage circle or some such to finish so we could have
> closing court and take down camp while there were still some folks
> left. Perhaps a small tournement, informal or otherwise, might have
> been useful here.
>
> Lord Stefan li Rous
> Barony of Bryn Gwlad
> Ansteorra

And I have hazy recollections of the Tournament of the Queen's Grace, which
was held on Thanksgiving weekend.  IIRC, the site opened on Thursday evening
and the event got cranking Friday morning and ran to Sunday afternoon.  You
could spend Thanksgiving with the folks, then stoke to the site for a long
weekend of fighting.  Of course, each year presented the attendees with a
different type of horrendous weather.  I was there for the Tournament of the
Queen's Mud.

After we became a kingdom, Thanksgiving events disappeared from the
calendar.

Bear