ANST - SCA - 35 year ???

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed May 5 08:26:50 PDT 1999

On 5 May 99, at 8:47, Robert_Smetek at veritasdgc.com wrote:

> What if the next one is to far to drive?
> What if the last one was too?
> What if you aren't made of money?
> You would have to wait that much longer just to go.
> This is an SCA wide event, isn't it?
> You never know who's going to host the next one a decade later.
> Some people were saying how they had to decide where to go when two big
> events that happen out of kingdom happened at the same time. What about
> those of us who have to decide if they can afford the event 2 hours away.
> Some of us have to wait till it's in our relative area (aka one state
> over). After hearing all of the stories of war for the past 8 years, I had
> the time of my life when, after saving a full year, I finaly had enough
> money to drive to Gulf Wars. If the event was every 5 years, it might get
> a little boring to those who can aford to go every time, but it would give
> those of us who never get out of the kingdom a better chance to witness
> history.

.. planning for the future based on todays limitations

who can say what one's status is year - year (or even season / season), other
than it changes pro/con.  so basing long-term future plans on todays time off /
available funds / ability to drive / etc ... can be a artificially limiting
exercise.  maybe the situation will improve next year, maybe it will worsen,
who can say?.   have found over the years that if one really wants to attend
something, and is meant to attend it, one finds the way to make it happen.

it's often easy to find excuses for not going to something if the reason for
going wasn't really there isn the first place.  better to be honest with self
and acknowledge that it wasn't important enough to you to spend the time /
energy to make it happen.  and sometimes it's simply a matter of the personal
"return" dosn't justify the "expense" (isn't that a rule of aquisition somehere
???)

... nature of the event

ahhh, but what is the nature of a anniversary event?.  should such a event
reflect the unique and special nature of the entity it celebrates, or should it
dilute it's specialness and bend-to and reflect the "convenience" of the
members ???

keep it 10 years (and maybe quarter century) and protect the "specialness" of
the event.  make it something of high importance, so that people make the
necessary sacrifices to attend, and by makng those sacrifices add to the
uniqueness of the event.  have always found that events that require such
"sacrifice" (driving several states, extra time, waiting for it, etc ) have
always been more important and meaningful than the ones that roll around on a
frequent basis that take no effort to attend.

make it 5 years, and like several have pointed out, it becomes yet another
another "party" ... and like other pointed out, if all you want is a convenient
party, there are plenty of near options already on the calander.

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves