ANST - SCA - 35 year

Galen W. Bevel galenbv at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 5 16:26:12 PDT 1999

>Jin Liu Ch'ang here (carefully ignoring the other comments to some degree)
>
>How about having the celebrations every five years and have it rotating
among kingdoms?  In that way each kingdom will not have to travel far at
least once every 25 years or so.  Let it be run completely by the kingdoms
hosting it and that way people will get to see the customs of that kingdom.

>Jin Liu Ch'ang
>m.k.a. Norman White

I don't really care whether they hold the events once every five years, ten
years, or even once a year.  But I think the point that someone made
earlier, and that Jin sort of touches upon above has to do with willingness
to travel.  Jin's point assumes that people will travel across the KW every
five years to a new Kingdom, instead of waiting a few more years for the
event to come to them.  I hope that he is right. Right now, one of the
things that makes the anniversaries (and I have attended all of them since
20th) special is that people from all over the known world attend them,
creating a mix of SCA cultures that you really don't experience anywhere
else.  I would hope that that would continue even if they were held on a
regular five year basis, but it might not.  If I lived on the West coast and
the event was held on the east coast, I might just say, "that's a _big_
expense, lets go to Estrella this year, after all, the one in five years
will probably not be so far away".  That absence then hurts the character of
the event.  It is possible that having the event roam around the KW every
five years would have it devolve to the point that only those who live near
the event would bother to attend it.  When that happens, do you truly have a
KW event?  Someone mentioned that five years lets new people have a chance
to witness "history".  If people stop going outside their own local area to
attend, what happens to that history? Then the "history" that those
attending newbies see will not differ significantly from a large Kingdom
level event.

The real question to ask is whether having the events every ten years
instead of every five will lessen this phenomenon.  And I leave the answer
to that for the philosopher's.............

Graf Galen