ANST - SCA - 35 year

Joel Schumacher jschumac at jcpenney.com
Thu May 6 15:25:23 PDT 1999

I'd vote for 5 years.  Hey, 5 years is still a long time.  I've only
been living in Texas for 5.5 years.  But when I sit back and think
about all that has happened, all I've done, all the people I've met,
all the people and things I've already forgotten, it's a long time.

Will people still attend?  Since when has any large, multi-kingdom
event ever declined in size?  Has Pennsic grown smaller?  Gulf Wars?
...and those are held every year.

Maybe a comparable type event:  I used to live in Milwaukee.  Every
year Harley Davidson has a sold-out festival.  On the 5 year
anniversaries, the event is even bigger.  But the 10 year
anniversaries are the biggest.  Everyone seems aware that these are
special.  Don't remember the 75th (I was 12), but assume 25's are
the same, if not even bigger.

No matter what, people from all over the country are there.  On
the 5 years, it's more people, and on the 10's, it seems like
everybody in the country with a Harley is there.  Regardless, the
event keeps growing.

I think a regular SCA-wide event would be similar.  The 10's and
25's may end up being the special "big" ones.  And the 5 year ones,
may not be as big, but still draw a huge crowd and still provide a
special event.

If somebody has to miss one for whatever reason (vacation, distance,
money, personal, whatever...), 10 years seems like a long, long, time
to wait for another one.

'wolf wrote:
> another case ... made 20th because it was important to me and it was
> a decade event.  made 25th becuase it was semi-local and nothing else
> was happening that weekend.  to me, the first was much more meaningful
> (even with the flooded site) than the second (though it did had some
> amusing harley-related moments hanging with Fury and Company ...)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the second time you do anything, it's
not as special as the first.  My first event, though rather small,
was still memorable and special.

It may not be the span of only 5 years that made the second one less
meaningful.  It may be the fact that you've already done it.  Perhaps
your first will always be the most meaningful and it doesn't matter
how long you wait to attend another.