ANST - Judging Standards (Was: A&S - does utility count?)

D Arrington strmridr at my-dejanews.com
Sun May 9 23:29:05 PDT 1999

On Sun, 09 May 1999 18:45:57   Lorraine and/or Kief wrote:
>Heilsa Gilli and all other Good and True Ansteorrans that may read these

>Certainly they do...*smile* Anyone can do common things like weave or do
>leather work, etc. However, where the documentation comes in is when the
>artisan is doing a true period piece set in a particular time
>period/location. For instance, I have heard and read that a lot of the
>knotwork patterns folks do on leather armor, knife and sword scabbards, etc.
>were not done on those items in period. However, in the process of doing a
>bit of research on Viking culture in general I found extant examples of
>period items covered with the exact type of zoomorphic knotwork oft touted
>as "non-period style". In case you're wondering, it was the anthropologist's
>study that showed the find and the reproductions done of the original
>objects (two knife sheaths).

Sir Kief speaks truly!  I received the visual and sometimes verbal disdain of smirking "knowitalls" many times for my knotwork leatherwork early in my SCA life (circa 1989 CE); believe me when I say that when I discovered the two knife sheaths Sir Kief talks about in the Jorvik Viking Exhibit in York, England (dated to the middle 900s AD), coupled with finding examples of knotwork leather book satchels and other articles in the National Museaum in Dublin, Ireland (dated to 800AD), well, I was about ready to jump up on the tallest building and shout "See?????  I told ya' so!!!!!"  And now I just looooooooooove documentation!  Big smile!  Biiiiig smile!

Thorgrim, 106 days left on an 8 year voyage
Still plundering the remains of the Ottoman Empire
(Hey, did anyone need an "Ottoman"??  I'm here...)

---
"Madness in great ones, must not unwatched go."
             - Shakespeare

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums