ANST - Judging Standards (Was: A&S - does utility count?)

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon May 10 00:35:05 PDT 1999

Gilli said:
>Your research intrigues me.   You must show me these goodies when
> we can get together.

You might also take a look at the medieval leatherworking list
(www.egroups.com, search for "leather" and you can actually read it on-line
if you do not want to subscribe).  The list is blessed by the presence of
Ian, the resident expert of leather finds working at the excavations at
Jorvik (Viking Age York), and this week one of the list members was
distributing documentation on Norse sheath-making as well.

I have some good photos of Viking leatherwork as well from the World of the
Vikings CD-ROM (thanks to HL Fionna ni Cealleagh!!) that I can share.

>However; while I haven't done any A & S myself, I do know of an individual
>who was told that she needed to flesh out her history on weaving in a recent
>A & S comp she entered.

She shouldn't need to re-invent the wheel.  She can ask any one of the
"older" weavers in the kingdom to share their documentation with her, and
she can then build off that.  She shouldn't need to go into detail as in,
"Sheep were domesticated in umpty-zillion BC, the first thread was spun by
Oona the Cavewoman..."    What the judges want to see is more than just a
nebulous, "this is tablet weaving which is of course period".  It doesn't
take a treatise, but it would be nice to see "this belt is similar is style
to tablet-weaving done in medieval Scandinavia", since tablet-weaving
encompasses many times and many cultures.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Baroness to the Court of Ansteorra
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)