ANST - Bare Table A & S

Michael Tucker michaelt at mechatronics.com
Mon May 10 14:27:40 PDT 1999

I tend to agree, Jovian. I have attended (and competed in) piano auditions where
the pianists were separated from the judges by a screen. This eliminated all
elements of "showmanship"; it didn't matter how you dressed, or how dramatically
you lifted your hands from the keys. All that mattered was the sound of the
music you made.

It's harder to set up "blind" judging for static, visual or performing arts
(other than music) because you *have* to see what the artist is doing or has created.

I like the idea of a plain black piece of cloth with the entry sitting on it.
How about if we just cover the entry tables with black tablecloth, and limit
your entry to the piece (sitting "naked" on the tablecloth) and the
documentation (displayed on a provided easel?)?

Is this even feasible? How much do we "give up" when we take away the "ambiance"
a.k.a. "fru-fru"?

Or is "not seeing" the "fru-fru" just part of what it takes to be a good,
impartial judge?

Michael Silverhands