ANST - Tied to the pole- feet to the flame

Catherine de Calais ladyhauke at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 21:26:16 PDT 1999

Okay, I rarely post and will probably get a lot of flack for what I am about
to say, but here goes...

I can not address the issue of Knights or Pelicans, as I am an apprentice,
but me personally, I see entering something into an A&S as an opportunity to
have my work critiqued, not to "compete" with other people.  I strive only
to perfect my art(s) and not the be "best of show".  I would love and
welcome the opportunity to see more Laurels work in A&S.  How can I set my
goals, learn my craft, if I don't see what the Laurels do?  As apprentices
we sometimes allow ourselves to be intimidated by the very people we should
be learning from.

As for whether peers should have to "perform" in order to keep in good
standing as a peer, well, I have yet to know of a knight, pelican or laurel
that was reluctant to help or teach anyone that requested that assistance.
Should they have to go out and foist this on other people?  I don't think
so, but that's my humble opinion...

Lady Catherine de Calais
Barony of Bjornsborg
apprentice to Her Excellency Baroness Jehanne d'Avignon