ANST - Tied to the pole- feet to the flame

marsha.greene at mpan.com marsha.greene at mpan.com
Fri May 21 16:46:37 PDT 1999

I'm glad the Ansteorra is one of those kingdom's that still makes Laurel's
from some of our Merchants.   I have been told that in some other
kingdom's, if you aspire to the order of the Laurel, you had best *not* be
a merchant until after you get the Laurel.  Else, if you merchant, you will
never be considered for  Laurel.  Thank goodness we have more sense than to
follow that path in Ansteorra.

While it might be in interesting idea to 'test' our Peers to see if they
still measure up, I don't think of Peerage is the same as needing to
maintain a license or certification.  They have proved themselves already.
And there are a number who continue to actively participate and enter in
the arts, the marshal fighting and doing service for the Kingdom.

And if some have been a Peer for a quite a number of years, they may no
longer be able to maintain the same level of competence that gained them
the peerage in the first place (I didn't say you were 'old'!).   But, they
still have the knowledge that got them there in the first place.  I think
the greatest 'test' of their continued abilities, (besides the occational
showing and giving of their arts, and autocrating events, and fighting in
tourneys) is when they see their students advance to Peerage levels.  Then,
they truly are the 'Master' who has not only attained personal and peerage
excellence, but is able to teach it and see it passed along proficiently.
Baroness Hillary Greenslade   Westgate

 I was told many years ago that a person who does quality work and could
make a living selling their work for a living qualified as a Laurel.  My
own
foster daughter, Telerie sold her beads at many events before she became a
Laurel.  Selling does not disqualify anyone from an A&S compition.
HOWEVER- I find it amazing how once one becomes a peer in the realm, how
quickly they quite competing.  The joke of the Loch use to be " How do you
get someone to quit fighting in the Loch?  Make them a knight.
  This seems to be true in all the peerages.  Many of the old peers have
found the bar of compition raised far beyond the level of which they
achieved
to become peers.  Couldn't some type of evaluation or criteria be assessed
in
order to maintain good standing as a peer?  For example- Knights must win
one
compition in a three year period, Laurels must win an A&S compition every
so
often and Pelicans could autocrat an event or do a major service every once
and awhile.  This would be benificial not only to the newcomers who would
benefit greatly from the wealth of knowledge in our peers, but also
demonstrate that once a peerage has been bestowed ,that the individual
truely
wants to continue onward and upward in service to the kingdom.
 Just the rambling thoughts of an old man

Baron Bors