ANST - sighh....

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Wed May 5 12:39:30 PDT 1999

On 5 May 99, at 14:45, Hill, Jeffrey A (Jeff) wrote:

> Why does Wolf have any right to say so?  I played in Bryn Gwlad for six
> years, and never once have a I met this individual.  Just being a paid
> member does not make one a contributing member of that group.  When I see
> him helping out at an event, and contributing, then I will take his
> opinions on this matter more seriously.

'why?  because 'wolf is, and for most of his 25+ years in this game been a paid
member and as such has supported the cause of the SCA and that by it'self is
enough ...

in this game, everyone is assumed to be a equal nobility, right? and that being
the case *everyones* opinion must matter equally ... last i checked it was
purchased on the merit-badge system that seems to be the norm, and frankly
merit badges never had meaning for thsi one.

free speech and expression of personal opinion is a RIGHT in this culture not a
PRIVALEGE earned or given by self-imposed social superiors ...

to my mind, attitudes such as yours reflect a darker aspect of the SCA and are
often stated common contributing reasons why people burnout, get fed up, and
choose to leave or allow themselves to be driven out.  from many young people i
speak to, it's often reason given why they decide to bail after finding the
group.  it's a reflection of the unofficial social caste / clique system inside
the the SCA  that many (self included) find so reprehensible.

why am i not around? not that it's anyone business save mine ... school / work
/ relationships / home / real life obligations ... all things that must take
priority over one's game / hobbie ... not to mention major BURNOUT from the
early years and a total and complete dis-interest in the business as usual
politics that SCA groups thrive on .... this one prefers smaller venues and
groups of more compatible friends (many of them on these electronic channels)
.... or the wider, more focused organizations that thrive in the SCA.

what it boils down to, if you measure your worth by your level of local
service, awards, merit badges, political position, whatever  ... more power to
ya'.  i don't and never have.  dosn't make either right, dosn't make either
wrong ... but both have to co-exist.  i value your opinions and would hope you
are wise enough to listen to mine ... you might find some value in them if you
listen.

in the SCA, man get off to serving when there is a spotlight trained on them so
all can see them and their support can be acknowledged ... and some prefer to
work from behind the scenes and shun the spotlight.  if a friend (SCS or
otherwise) needs my help and asks, i'm usually first one to trade my time to
them, that's just part of the basic nature.

on the other hand, if they don't ask i assume they have it under control and do
not need my help.  i prefer to help *people* over *organization*.  my SCA cynn
know that if they need help cutting dead trees and clearing brush, help in
moving from one place to another, crash space for travelers, borrowing cooking
gear for the crown tourney, fixing vehicles, any informatoion i can provide ...
all they have to do is contact me (all those happened during the last month).

by the by, i'm a round more than you might believe ... look more closely in the
shadows / background next time i might be there for my reasons.

my advice to ya' ... learn to cope with diversity

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves