ANST - A&S - does utility count?

Fopdejour1 at aol.com Fopdejour1 at aol.com
Sun May 9 13:14:03 PDT 1999

<< My question, to the A&S folks, is do you feel the approach taken in
 >the examples above is valid? Should A&S entries be judges only on
 >their esthetic qualities and periodness, or should other factors be
 >taken into account, such as how cleverly a piece hides mundanity in a
 >period looking package, how well things like carts, lanterns and
 >chairs function, and whether a piece makes life in the SCA easier or
 >even safer?

I have issues with this...Entries are very rarely judged on their aesthetics
(if by aesthetics you mean "oh that looks good, it must be the winner."),
unless you are talking about a populace vote type of competition.  The new
judging forms make aesthetics a minor point category (10 points out of 50.)
Most of the remaining points rely on documentation, which is as it should be.
 Judges do not know everything, so it is up to every artisan's documentation
to educate the judges on how they created their entry. That way the
difficulty level, authenticity, and workmanship can be judged fairly against
all the other entrants.
	  If you want to enter said cart, then document period carts and tell
what you did different and why.  The same goes for lanterns and chairs and
any other item that we "utilize" in the SCA.  Just because it has utility
does not mean it will be harshly critiqued.  Now, if you don't make an
attempt to document it or don't provide adequate documentation....well then,
what do you want?  The judges are bound by the forms to score the entry
lower.
	I am going to answer your question with another question....How does
one judge cleverness?  If it hides mundanity, wonderful, but it will be
judged along the same guidelines as any other type entry.  Granting
differential judging is not fair to artisans global.  The chair, lantern,
cart etc. will be judged on what it is,(ie. metal working, wood working,
leather working...and the list goes on.) not by what it does.
	Take a look at the judging forms to familiarize yourself with what is
being looked for, so that there is no confusion as to why something was
docked points.

Ld. Charles de Bourbon
apprentice to Mistress Charla