ANST - Judging Standards (Was: A&S - does utility count?)

Leofric Ealdricson lealdricson at hotmail.com
Sun May 9 17:24:02 PDT 1999

OK, I'm going to open a can of worms here.

I have seen the new judging forms and they are a great help in the
equalization of judging of varying entries in A&S competitions.  The problem
with this form (and any other judging really) is that there is still a LOT
of room for interpretation of the criteria.

I know of one instance in particular that applies to the seciton of the form
for involvment of the artisan in the materials.  The item being judged was a
peice of garb.  All of the piece was made by the artisan and was very nice
(It won the competition).  The scores received by the aritsan ranged from 4
down to 1.  The reason given for the 1 score was that the artisan did not
weave the cloth herself.

So my question here is;  In the situation where an artisan makes a peice of
garb, by hand from materials (cloth, thread, buttons) that were bought, what
should the score have been.

I do woodwork.  When I enter and item, to receive top score do I have to
fell the tree and hew the wood into planks myself?  Must I plant the tree,
wait twenty years, fell it, hew it, and then work it to get top score?
(tounge firmly in cheek on that last one)

What needs to be set is just what each of those numbers represent.  I have
seen the form (at least one version of it) and there are some 'criteria'
listed, but is does not tell how much is necessary to get a 5.

One factor in ANY judging will be how much the judge likes it.  This is just
human nature.  How do you quantitfy a subjective measure such as 'Overall
Appearance'?  You can't.  What can be done is that judging A&S entries needs
to be a skill that is taught.  To everyone who will be judging, be they
Laurels, Irises, or any other.

This is something that will take time, but if it can be done it will go a
long way to healing the wounds of many artisans who WILL NOT enter an A&S
competition because they have better things to do than stand up and have
judges tell them that they are worthless.

Anyway, enough of the soap box.  I'll stop now.  (Getting out the
marshmallows to toast on the flames that will be comming my way soon)

Regards

Leofric Ealdricson
Baron of Loch Soilleir
(At least until Saturday night)

>Ummm......Anne, this was done about a year ago, by....guess who, the
>Laurels.
>  We have been using these judging sheets for quite a while.  Ironicly,
>these
>are much like what you described in your post.
<snip>