ANST - Judging Standards (Was: A&S - does utility count?)

RAISYA at aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Sun May 9 18:34:52 PDT 1999

Baron Leofric,

you wrote:

>I have seen the new judging forms.  ...(snipped)
>...I know of one instance in particular that applies to the seciton of the
form
>for involvment of the artisan in the materials.

Your excellency, you've been shown an older form that the laurels had nothing
to do with, but which was frequently used.  For materials, the forms worked
out by the laurels last summer says:

"Authenticity of Materials (5pts.) Materials appropriate to entry's period?
If non-period, is there Adequate justification? (Should be supported in the
documentation)"

Defining "adequate" justification is, unfortunately, pretty subjective, but I
do know many judges accept everything down to, "I liked it better", as long
as it's clear that the artisan knew what should have been used.  There is
NOTHING on this sheet about level of involvement in the materials, except as
might apply to complexity/difficulty.

>What can be done is that judging A&S entries needs to be a skill that is
taught.

Agreed!

Raisya Khorivovna
Shire of the Shadowlands