ANST - Judging Standards (Was: A&S - does utility count?)

Lorraine and/or Kief deer_kief at hotmail.com
Sun May 9 18:45:57 PDT 1999

Heilsa Gilli and all other Good and True Ansteorrans that may read these
words...

You wrote:

>The thing that gets me, is having to do documentation on the history of a
>common item like weaving, leather work and the like.  Those subjects that
>are common and have had volumes written about them, IMHO do not need to be
>rehashed.

Certainly they do...*smile* Anyone can do common things like weave or do
leather work, etc. However, where the documentation comes in is when the
artisan is doing a true period piece set in a particular time
period/location. For instance, I have heard and read that a lot of the
knotwork patterns folks do on leather armor, knife and sword scabbards, etc.
were not done on those items in period. However, in the process of doing a
bit of research on Viking culture in general I found extant examples of
period items covered with the exact type of zoomorphic knotwork oft touted
as "non-period style". In case you're wondering, it was the anthropologist's
study that showed the find and the reproductions done of the original
objects (two knife sheaths). So, in looking for examples of commonly done
work I found an unusual example. As well, the use of documented period works
lets the artisan more easily explain how and why their displayed piece is
different or similar. Besides, we would not be rehashing the basic use of
leather or weaving in the documentation...just the particular use of certain
aspects of the medium.

>Gilli
>Who has no mashmellows, but has added a scarf to his new stylish flame
>proof
>suit from El Paso.

Waes Thu Hael kinfolk
Kief