ANST - Bare Table A & S

marsha.greene at mpan.com marsha.greene at mpan.com
Tue May 11 11:44:36 PDT 1999

My slant on the presentation issue. ..    I think the A&S displays done
like a retail store display window is a bit overkill.     But, I do like
seeing items displayed using frames, holders, minor props, shown in
simplicity,  in order to accent and show the technical exactness of the
entry.

I remember the days when presentation was not considered an issue or judged
upon,  items *were* being displayed by being just laid upon a table (so
several of you are asking us to return to that earlier method).    Its my
understanding, that presentation became a judged issue as a way to
encourage a better 'display' of the art.     I think that the intent here
is not to create a 'display window' with your entry but to better 'display'
your entry in a near natural state.

Without going into display-overkill, the artist could take the period
illumination and frame it (even temporarily) so it does not blow away and
stays clean, and can be picked up and viewed up close.  The jeweler could
take the necklace and display it on a mannequin bust or velvet necklace
plaque (like in the jewelry stores), so as the show the judge and viewers
how the necklace lays correctly, and does not bunch or hang crooked.   The
costumer could display the gown or tunic on a body frame (these don't have
to be expensive) so the viewer can see the way the tunic is laced, and
hangs correctly, the hem is straight, and the sleeves are stuffed with
tissue paper so you can see how the connecting buttons or laces hold them
up.  The Stain glass artist would display the window standing up or hanging
from a structure,  or on an easle, so that light may pass through it and
show the true colors, that would not be shown if it were laying on a table.
These can be simple things, without all the fru-fru, but still add a lot to
the overall display and perception of the item.    I think the intent on
better presentation is just that.. to better present the item in its best
form.
Hillary Greenslade       Westgate

Jovian said:
'My arguement is "If you're judging the piece, judge the piece." No need
for all of the additional material. I would like to see a rule something to
the effect of "Nothing is to be on the table but a plain, black piece of
cloth, the item, and it's documentation. Level the playing field and return
the emphasis to the item itself.'