ANST - Bare Table A & S

Bowen wweir at postoffice.swbell.net
Sun May 16 13:57:06 PDT 1999

I am not sure I am doing this right, but here goes:
I have 3 comments on what has been presented on this thread.
1. It has been my experience as a judge that presentation does make a
difference after the overall
merit of the pieces has been looked at. If it comes down to two "best"
entries, and one is well presented, and the other isn't, the nice presentation
will tip the scales. Presentation would never be the first thing I looked at.
2. I agree with Baroness Hilary that simplicity is an asset to an arts
display. Too much, is distracting. Any artisan in period would give
consideration to how his or her work was displayed,
it had to be sold in order for the artisan to make a living. Creativity is
part of our name, and
to pay attention to the setting of the display seems to me to be worthwhile.
3. The way we do Arts and Sciences competitions is not at all period. I never
get a "medieval feeling" at all when I view or judge an A&S competition. I
really liked the concept for the event last year (I think in Bryn Gwlad-I
didn't get to attend) where the artisans set up shop for the day at the
market. Any ideas such as this that could make the whole presentation of
artistry more
medievally realistic deserves consideration. I am glad to see brainstorming
happening on this topic. Keep the ideas coming, and don't dismiss them out of
hand because they are different from the way we have always done it.
"Pippa"
Baroness Philippa Rookhaven
Stargate