ANST - NY Times: Women: Shadow Story of the Millennium

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Tue May 18 14:48:34 PDT 1999

Ronnie wrote:
> >I think you will find that is Matilda (also called Maud).  Granddaughter of
> >William I.  Daughter of Henry I.  She fought an extended civil war with her
> >cousin Stephen over the succession.  Her son took the throne as Henry II
> >after Stephan's death and founded the Plantagenet line of rulers.
> >
> >Bear
>
> Yeah, Bear, that's the one!  Geeze, you'd think I could at *least* get her
> *name* right!  But that's the one I was thinking of, and thank you!
> Ronnie.

You've got to be kidding?!!! Matilda is hardly one you would want to
have folks emulate, especially if you were expecting any of the virtues
the SCA highlights. Honor meant little to her and when she briefly had
power, she was all to quick to abuse it and go back on her word.

Stephan's main vice, on the other hand, was that he was all to willing to
forgive and forget, letting enemies go on a pledge of obedience rather
than removing their heads.

Sorry, I'm not that familar with the other candidates mentioned here, but
I have a hard time thinking they could be any worse for this than Matilda.
Many of the Nobles of the time were on par with her. Most were extremely
self-serving and would switch sides quickly if it meant personal gain. No
where near the ideal portrayed by the SCA.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net