ANST - Tied to the pole- feet to the flame

Sara Bairrington katri4684 at surfree.com
Fri May 21 17:03:25 PDT 1999

At 06:42 PM 5/21/99 -0500, Tim Lozos wrote:

>Greetings!
>
>>>Couldn't some type of evaluation or criteria be assessed in order to
>>maintain good standing as a peer?  For example- Knights must win one
>>competion in a three year period, <
>
>Gee, I understand the intellectual exercise behind this, but dang, that
>would cut down the amount of knights out there. Does not one remain a
>knight, if he is unable to fight?  Is prowess on the field your only
>requirement? Does not the training and inspiration of knights like Sir
>William of Weir or Sir Karl de Ganger count of anything?
>
>>I'd make it more like once a reign or once a year.  We need their
>>instruction and the challenge they bring to the list fields for the up and
>>coming fighters.
>
>Well that would definatly cut down the number to a much more manageable
>figure (roll eyes). I bet there are about 4-5 knights out there who have won
>a list in the past year. Surely Duke Inman or Duke Mikeal wouldnt mind
>giving up their belts. Or Kadi Mahadi, Earl Barn and Graf Galen.
>
>dang, now were did all my role models go?????????

My apologies, I didn't continue the train of thought far enough.  I expect
our older knights would definitely still teach and share the wealth of
their knowledge.  I know that fighting is not the whole of knighthood.  I
suppose the thoughts come from frustration at seeing fewer and fewer of our
older knights teaching.  I'm wrong in what I posted, but isn't there some
way we can encourage our more experienced members continue to help keep the
SCA the wonderful place has been to play?