ANST - laurels competing

Leofric Ealdricson lealdricson at hotmail.com
Sun May 23 08:47:43 PDT 1999

Greetings

I just wanted to add some comments to my earlier post.

A lot of comparison has been made between the fighting arts and the
performing or static arts.  To me, these are two different styles of
competition.  The combat lists are not judged.  You take on your opponent on
the list field and the victor advances in the tournament.

The static and performing arts put you against everyone else in the
competition.  The results are subjective and are determined by judges who's
skill level can be vastly greater than yours.  There is one intimidation
factor right there.  Also, not every artisan has the constitution to put
their work out to be judged (and maybe ripped to shreds) by the judges.

I personally have lost all of the lists that I have entered and all of the
A&S competitions that I have entered.  But, I have recieved many more
constructive comments on my fighting than I have ever had on my A&S.  The
new A&S judging forms help a great deal on telling you what you need to work
on.  The first competitions that I entered, you were lucky if you got any
comments at all.  Often times those comments were anonymous derrogatory
comments.  Even the constructive comments, when anonymous, are not too
helpful.  I got frustrated when someone liked my work and I did not know who
is was so that I could go to them and get more in depth comments or
instruction.

Another difference between fighting arts and static arts is the format of
the teaching.  Anyone who wants to learn how to fight needs to come to a
fighter practice.  Someone there will have loaner gear to get them started
and will show them how the fighting is done.  Teaching the other arts forms
is much more difficult.  I have not found any real teaching structure for
the static arts (that does not mean that there is not one, I just haven't
found it).  A student of a static art must seek out someone to teach them.
For someone who is new, this can be a daunting task.  It is not easy to
approach a peer and ask to be taught in their art.  Sometimes, there is no
one in the area who practices that art.  You can find a lot of Laurels who's
specialty is fabric arts, but not many who are brewers or woodworkers.

One way to get by this could be for the local Laurels (and Iris's) to form a
referal network and introduce the new artisans to a Laurel in their
specialty at some event.  Even if there are no Laurels that are skilled in
the craft that someone is persuing, any Laurel can teach a new artisan what
is required for documentation, how to do research, and how to prepare
entries for competition.

Just some further expansion on my own observations.  You may fire when
ready.

Regards
Leofric