ANST -shredding- was laurels competing

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Sun May 23 10:46:49 PDT 1999

Mark&Sue (uriel at intx.net) said something that sounded like:
> I'm pretty new to this kingdom.

Welcome to the Kingdom!

> Is it really that prevalent or are several horrible
> past incidents coloring the whole?

Please note that this is from personal observation over the last few
years and not from actual competition on my part.

Yes, there have been incidents of it. Just as there have been incidents
of rhino-hiding on the list field. Is it the norm? No.

The problem is that one incident, or one bad apple of a Peer, can taint
the entirity of the competition/peerage for people. There are a lot of
good people doing good work. When one person or incident raises its
ugly head, many people start yelling and screeming about those nasty
judges/Peers. As well, what in the heat of the moment seems like harsh
criticism, can be seen as constructive when emotions have calmed down.

Why do we hear more about bad commentary? In my humble opinion, it's
because artists tightly wrap themself into their work. They do not
seperate the work from their being. This causes even the slightest bit
of criticism to be blown out of proportion. Constructive criticism is
still criticism to many people and they feel it must be avoided. This is
part of why we get little to no commentary on lots of entries. Judges
are afraid that even constructive criticism will be seen as negativity.
(Other things that cause little to no commentary are lack of judges and
shortness of time for judging/critique.)

I know you asked for private incidents of overly harsh or inappropriate
criticism, I thought that instead I would post this commentary instead.
Yes, I do have examples of it, but I do not feel that they are
appropriate to rumor-monger on because they are out of the ordinary and
thus don't need to be harped on.

Ciao,