ANST - Tied to the pole- feet to the flame

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Sun May 23 17:57:35 PDT 1999

At 04:54 PM 5/22/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>My apologies, I didn't continue the train of thought far enough.  I expect
>>our older knights would definitely still teach and share the wealth of
>>their knowledge.  I know that fighting is not the whole of knighthood.  I
>>suppose the thoughts come from frustration at seeing fewer and fewer of our
>>older knights teaching.  I'm wrong in what I posted, but isn't there some
>>way we can encourage our more experienced members continue to help keep the
>>SCA the wonderful place has been to play?
>

>Maybe if the requirement was for the Knight or **one of their squires** to
win a tourney every year or two...

Another problem with this proposal is what happens when Sir Joe is coming
up on his 3-year (or whatever) deadline and *hasn't* won a tournament? What
are the chances of that extra pressure making his skin just a little tougher?

Or would we see a flood of knights out to the smaller groups just so they
can become "Champion of the Incipient Shire of Mudflats" and keep their
belt and chain? Getting more knights out to the smaller groups is a good
idea, if they're teaching and inspiring new fighters, but if they're just
there to get that tourney win and go home, what's the point?

Do we yank the belt and chain of a knight who can't, for legitimate medical
reasons, fight any more? What about those knights who've *never* won a
tournament?

I could maybe see requiring them to *fight* in a tournament at least once a
year, but requiring that they win one seems like a bad idea.

	-Tivar Moondragon
		Ansteorra