ANST - [Fwd: RN- Gulf War date corrections]

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Thu May 27 15:41:56 PDT 1999

>A thoughtful wish:  I'd love to have Gulf War held at the Texas RenFaire
>grounds!  It has the land, the set up, the REALLY nice BATHROOMS!!!!!  Any
>chance?
>
>a major dreamer,
>
>Curstaidh

Who would be the autocrat?

And who would be our opponent?

I have neither heard anyone volunteer
to autocrat a Gulf War, either in 2000
or later, nor have I heard anyone say
they'd cross Meridies to Trimaris to
attend Gulf War.

What I have seen is a lot of posts from
people who wish _someone_ would autocrat
the Gulf War in Ansteorra, which would
surely be convenient for Ansteorrans,
but I have my doubts about whether we'd
see our Trimarian or Meridian friends
there.

If we wouldn't go to Trimaris for a War,
why should they come here?  If we _can't_
go that far, what makes anyone think they
_could_?

Meridies and its people put a great deal
of effort into the Gulf War -- more, I fear
than many of us appreciate.  Despite the
complaining and wishing on this list, they
do a very good job of it.

I would be much loathe to change that.  And
while it would be great for the date to be
more convenient, I'll take what I can get.
Wishes are not horses and we'll get the site
when the site-owners make it available, and
at no other time.  Nor would I expect Meridies
to put too much effort into developing another
site when so much investment has been put into
making this one so nice.

I have never contemplated autocratting an
event as large as a Gulf War or a TYC or
Lord forbid, a Pennsic War, except only as
a passing thought, which always ends in a
horrified shudder.  I salute those who endeavor
to put on something to please so many people,
endure so very much gritching, and  still do
such a marvelous job of it.

As to holding the Gulf War at the TRF site,
talk to anyone who was involved in running
the SCA's 20th Year Celebration.  Suffice to
say that I don't think it would be very
workable.

Just my opinion.

- Galen of Bristol