ANST - Ranting over Gulf War dates and Business practices

Joe Wolf JWolf at bisys.com
Fri May 28 13:36:19 PDT 1999

Someone started this with:

>>> In the scenario of GW the more accurate terms, in my opinion,
>>> would be owner (as opposed to "host") and customer (as opposed to "guest")
>>> and, as we all know, in the realm of business the _customer_ is right.

Pug asked:

>>Do you honestly believe that?
>>
>>If I want to rent it for less than they want to, do I get my way?
{Snip!}

Laetitia replied with:

>In the business world it depends. I do hotel negotiations for SF
>conventions and we rarely pay the first asking price for the space, and
>with few exceptions we do not change our scheduled dates. In fact, the
>times we have changed our regular scheduled dates have been because we
>decided to...  {SNIP!}

First, let me say that like a lot of you subscribed to this list I tend to overlook a lot of stuff... people 'trolling' for a fight or arguing over semantics (in this case it seems).  I usually just by-pass the post or look for a gem or two of truth in the issue...

But people, this is getting seriously out of hand!!

I mean, all this talk of "business practices" and "customer service" is absolutely ridiculous and unwarrented!!  Are we forgetting that Gulf War is HOSTED by people like our selves, who are doing it for the enjoyment of it?!  Sure, money is involved to cover costs - not become a business!! Nor be treated like one!  Adjust your expectations!!  Get real, folks!!

I've found that a pretty good test of behavior is whether I'd like it done to me. If any of us went to the trouble, work, sleepless nights, long hours, etc that a war requires - what would we think if our guests began acting like we are acting now?!  The people we are working for... our friends...   lets not forget this, folks.

Stop and think a moment - our expectations seem to be high because the War has been so well run in the past!!  We've all had a grand time there, and the idea of missing it makes us angry... maybe we should stop and think a moment that the people organizing it know what they are doing and are not out to "get us?"  There's no conspiracy that I can see... how about you?

Herr Manfred von Wolf