ANST - Ranting over Gulf War dates and Business practices

Lewis Phillips og- at mail.utexas.edu
Fri May 28 14:53:31 PDT 1999

At 03:36 PM 5/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
other stuff about business practices snipped>

>First, let me say that like a lot of you subscribed to this list I tend to
overlook a lot of stuff... people 'trolling' for a fight or arguing over
semantics (in this case it seems).  I usually just by-pass the post or look
for a gem or two of truth in the issue...

>But people, this is getting seriously out of hand!!
>
>I mean, all this talk of "business practices" and "customer service" is
absolutely ridiculous and unwarrented!!  Are we forgetting that Gulf War is
HOSTED by people like our selves, who are doing it for the enjoyment of
it?!  Sure, money is involved to cover costs - not become a business!! Nor
be treated like one!  Adjust your expectations!!  Get real, folks!!

But you are wrong.  The people discussing this are not talking about the
SCA event staff.  They are commenting on the fact that the event SITE
owners are asking the SCA to change the dates for their convenience.  If
you rent a place for a certain set of dates shouldn't you be obligated to
have the site available on those dates?  Our expectations were high because
we were told that the dates were set - in a normal event the agreement is
reached and contracts are signed before the dates are announced.

>I've found that a pretty good test of behavior is whether I'd like it done
to me. If any of us went to the trouble, work, sleepless nights, long
hours, etc that a war requires - what would we think if our guests began
acting like we are acting now?!  The people we are working for... our
friends...   lets not forget this, folks.

>Stop and think a moment - our expectations seem to be high because the War
has been so well run in the past!!  We've all had a grand time there, and
the idea of missing it makes us angry... maybe we should stop and think a
moment that the people organizing it know what they are doing and are not
out to "get us?"  There's no conspiracy that I can see... how about you?

No conspiracy, but it seems like poor business practices on the part of the
site owner.

just my 2cents

og