ANST - What constitutes an "active" Peer?

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Wed Oct 13 15:34:32 PDT 1999

Oh, and one more thing:

If you aren't doing all those things I suggested, that doesn't mean you aren't
any longer a Peer. It doesn't "shorten your line". It doesn't diminish any of
the works you have done in the past, or who you are. It just means, from a
certain point of view, that you are no longer an "active" Peer. That's all.

I used to practice piano 4 hours a day, and had done so every day for 10 years.
I used to perform at least monthly, and compete at least a couple of times a
year. I used to be a pretty good pianist.

I haven't practiced as much as an hour a month for the past 10 years. I no
longer perform, except for the occasional party. I no longer compete. I'm still
an _ok_ pianist, and I know a _lot_ about music. I'm _still_ a musician. But I'm
no longer an "active" pianist, probably by _anybody's_ standard, but certainly
not by my own. It doesn't diminish who I am or what I've accomplished in any
way, but there's no point in me pretending to be what I'm not.

I could change that any time I want. I could take students, start practicing
again, and maybe get a gig playing somewhere (or at least enter some
competitions). But having the _potential_ to become active again, doesn't change
the fact that I'm inactive _now_.

Does that make sense?

Yours,
Michael