ANST - Patents

jruble jruble at napa-bbi.com
Mon Oct 18 16:05:10 PDT 1999

On Monday, October 18, 1999 5:11 PM, HRH Alaric wrote:
> I am very interested in discussion on this topic.

I put my two marks in, easily.  In short, I feel it is redundant.

In long...

A naked Patent could not sit in circle to discuss other candidates for the
order; that is decided at Crown Tournament.

A naked Patent implies that the peer sits in advisement to the Crown.  The
Crown, by custom and tradition, is always open to the advice of previous
Crowns (though they may not always act upon it...)

Any situation needing a joint circle of the peers could easily include the
Royal Family.

Therefore, all you are left with is a piece of paper and a redundant
title.

Looking at our some of our previous queens for example, I see many that
have continued their efforts after stepping down from the throne.  The
lack of a Peerage has not stopped these ladies, nor do I feel a naked
Patent would aid them in their projects.  Besides, a countess or a duchess
outranks a peer, anyway.

So please, heed a herald's plea.  Don't make it more complex.

Ulf Gunnarsson