ANST - Patents

KochKA at gvl.esys.com KochKA at gvl.esys.com
Mon Oct 18 16:01:22 PDT 1999

Hi, all.

Timo said:
>Which I have yet to figure out why we dont. Of course, to be honest, I have
>yet to figure out what the real difference is. The Consorts still get to be
>in the Order of the Rose. Both Sovereign and Consort get their rank with a
>County or Duchy.
A Royal Patent here would, I suppose, entitle the recipient to some extra
frou-frou in their achievement (a motto, I think).  Other than that, I'm not
sure what difference it would make.  I'm pretty sure Royal Peers don't have
peerage circles.  Do they?

>So my questions are:
> What is the difference in having a Royal Patent or not?
> Why are we one of the very few (only?) Kingdoms that dont give them out?
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I in interkingdom anthropology and
in our own kingdom's history can answer these questions for us.  I'd be
interested in knowing the answers.

> Would it be in the Kingdom's best interest to give out Royal Patents to
>those stepping down?
I would say no.  Frankly, I'm perplexed by the concept of Royal Peerages.
It seems to me like Royals (in kingdoms where Counties and Duchies also
convey Patents) are the only folks who rewarded more than once for doing a
single job: reigning.  In this kingdom, consorts are already rewarded twice
- with their Royal title, and with a Rose.

Don't get me wrong - being Crown is a difficult job.  It was one of the
hardest things I've ever done.  But is the amount of love and work and
devotion and heartache that I put into my three months as Crown Princess and
my six months as Queen equal to the *years* of love and work and devotion
and heartache that go into achieving a knighthood, or a laurel, or a
pelican?  When I think of all the peers that I know, and how long it took
them to get where they are, it's absolutely unthinkable to me to answer that
question with a 'yes'.

I was queen only because a good man had enough faith in me to fight for me,
and enough skill and honor and courage and good fortune to achieve victory
in a single list on a single day.  It was luck and love that made me queen.
The County was automatic, but I believe I earned it; being Crown is a hard
job.  But do I deserve a peerage as well?  I can't imagine why.

Try as I might, I can't think what I might have done on the throne that
deserved rewarding with not only a Royal title, but with a Patent as well.
Perhaps one of our Royal Peers from out of kingdom can explain how Royal
Patents work, and what the reasoning is behind giving them (hint, hint,
Larissa....)  ;)

Regards,
Countess Sara, LoR