ANST - Patents

Dennis Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 18 15:34:09 PDT 1999

Salut cozyns,

Lyonel aisai.

Sir Timotheos posts:

>So my questions are:
>  What is the difference in having a Royal Patent or not?
>  Why are we one of the very few (only?) Kingdoms that dont give them out?
>  Would it be in the Kingdom's best interest to give out Royal Patents to
>those stepping down?

As far as I can tell, the only differences are:

1) Having a Royal Patent allows the individuals in question to sit in joint
peerage circles.  I've only heard of this happening once in the past five
years, and that was basically just a howdy from the new Crown and Consort.

2) A spiffier achievement on the scroll.

3) Something the Crown can withhold if they are displeased (saw this happen
once - much bad blood arose from the incident).

I have no objection to Royal Patents, but I don't see what they add.

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace