ANST - Keeping track of who has what awards

Michael Tucker michaelt at neosoft.com
Tue Oct 19 11:19:34 PDT 1999

Hello, everyone:

Sir William of Weir, past Baron of Stargate, wrote:

> > Moriel*** wrote:
> >
> > >This also helped out greatly in doing an OP for the group. Now for a HUGE
> > group
> > >like Stargate they might want to have a person whose sole job is keeping
> > up on
> > >awards.
>
> Long ago & around the corner, here in Stargate, Pippa had just that idea.  We
> used it successfully for several years.  In ours, a file card had a person's
> names (both), address & phone, & awards with dates given.  On the back, we
> tried to list what they had done since the last update, which was usually the
> completion of our last event.  Even at that, we missed some.
> I have suggested this to various new Barons & Baronesses when possible.
>
> William of Weir

Yes, and our thanks go to you and Pippa for the suggestion! It's a wonderful,
simple idea (though it takes some effort to make it work). Promptly after we
were invested, Neassa made up an index card for each member of our populace. As
people moved in to the Barony, we tried to catch them (at our meeting of the
populace, for example) and add them to the card box. Then, whenever we had an
event, it was an easy matter to thumb through the box and see who needed what.

Unfortunately, in a group with over 170 paid members (and about 300 "active"
regardless of membership status) it's _extremely_ difficult to keep up! Having
someone just to keep up with this isn't a bad idea.

We have the Order of Precedence (OP), of course, both in print and online. It
helps, but it always seems to be 6 months to a year behind the times. If it were
always up to date, perhaps we wouldn't need the index cards so much (just our
Domesday). Hmmm... I hate to identify a problem without suggesting a way to
solve it, but I don't know of any better way to do it. :-\

Yours,
Michael Silverhands
current Baron of Stargate