ANST - Patents

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Tue Oct 19 14:49:59 PDT 1999

Galen here...

Among many other things, my friend Duchess Larissa wrote:

>The Patent makes the title a Peerage and not just an empty title.

(in reference to the ducal, county, and viscounty titles we've
been discussing)

However, _Corpora_ says:

::d. Royal Peerages. The titles assumed by former Crowns and Coronets
::may convey Patents of Arms if the laws and customs of the kingdom
::^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
::so provide. However, in order to receive a patent with the title,
::the recipient must meet the requirements in VII.A.1.

The first sentence makes clear to me that one can
be a Royal Peer without a Patent of Arms.  The
second sentence makes clear to me that a judgement
of the outgoing rulers must be made, the Patent
cannot be _automatically_ bestowed.

I assume that Ansteorra adopted its current policy
in order to avoid having the incoming Crown make
such a judgement on the outgoing Crown; this would
be (and often is, elsewhere) an ugly thing.  I hope
we keep our current policy, as it is clear that
Royal Peers (whether they hold Patents or not)
rank first on the Order of Precedence.

Besides, one can only get one Patent, just as one
can only get one AoA or one Grant of Arms.

- Galen of Bristol
who has been interested in this
topic (read: hot button) for some
15 or more years