ANST - Peerage, Peerage, who's got the peerage

Dennis O'Connor dmoc at primenet.com
Wed Oct 20 22:41:20 PDT 1999

From: Brent & Susan Rachel <hbrache at texas.net>
> We shouldn't want awards..., overtly... [...]

Why not ?  If someone wants recognition, what's wrong
with that ?  Jeez, should the Oscars only be given to
the people who don't want them ?

However, there is a difference between wanting to
be recognized for your work, and doing the work
just to be recognized.  For example, I think most
people who fight hardsuit would probably keep
fighting hardsuit even if there weren't any awards
given for it (witness the rapier folks).  However, as
long as there are awards given for it, it's natural to
want to get them if you think you rate them.

It is also okay to NOT want the awards, and contrary
to Master Tadgh's slightly-extreme comments, there
are people who don't care much whether they get
awards or not but can appreciate them if they do
get them (I'm like that with the profits I make from
my company's stock option plan.)  But in my experience,
even these  people for whom awards are unnecessary
like to know their efforts or abilities are appreciated; for
these people, "Thank you" is indeed enough if it is
sincerely delivered.

Sometimes you don't even need that.  Sometimes if
a cook hears people praising the food, that's a reward,
even if the people praising it don't know who the cook is.

Different people desire/need different kinds of
feedback for their efforts.  There's not much wrong there.
Dennis O'Connor                          dmoc at priment.com
N.B. As a reference, I have a GoA. Got it for slingin' dirt. :-)