ANST - Another danger of Tiki Torches

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Thu Oct 28 19:02:02 PDT 1999

On 28 Oct 99, at 14:00, Aline Swynbrook wrote:

> The moral of the story is, if you dig a hole, then
> take the torch out, refill the hole.  It can save
> someone major pain.

over these past 30 years of attending large events, i find that i am frequently
on the post event cleanup / breakdown crew of several groups (and often on the
setup)... this is excellent advice to take to heart . having had to put out too
many non quenched. smoldering fires, pickup abandoned garbage, fill in firepits
/ tent ditching / waste traps / privy pits ....

one lesson learned in the scouting years, leave your site better than when you
arrived .. it takes so little energy

one of my hot buttons are the cigarette butts that are strewn everywhere after
a event  ... if you smoke, get a metal belt can and don't drop the damned
things on the ground.

and if something major breaks - ice chest, chair, air mattress .. don't just
jettison it on site to add to a already major garbage load ... you were able to
pack it from home, so take it back and dispose of it there.

same for your recycling .. take your glass & metal home and process it there.
your site hosts will bless you.

'wolf

... truth is the sword of us all (lords of the new church)