ANST - Lard

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Sep 20 13:36:59 PDT 1999

ches at io.com wrote:
> What is a good substitute for Lard in today's cooking world and for penny
> royal?
>
> F. Havas

This file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium lists a number of oils and
cooking greases (butter, lard, pork fat) and in which region each was primarily
used.
cooking-oils-msg  (18K)  5/11/99    Period cooking and food oils.

Unfortunately, I don't have any messages that give specific substitutions
and how they differ from each other or the original. Are you wanting a
substitute for modern health concerns or some other reason? I know lard is
available as I saw some on the grocery shelf within the past few days.

There is a message that indicates that butter contains x (10, I think it was)
percent more water than lard. So maybe you can compensate knowing the
differances. Whether you can substitute and still be faithful to the
characteristics of the original dish may depend upon what that original
dish was.

I don't think I have any messages on substitutes for pennyroyal either.
There are cautions on using it in both these files:
herbs-cooking-msg (29K)  3/22/99    Period herbs used in cooking.
herbs-msg         (71K)  2/10/99    Herbs used in period and how they were used.
                                       Modern sources.
  (this last file is in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section)

The cautions do seem to apply mostly to oil of pennyroyal rather than
other forms. But it is probably safest to avoid it's use.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net
(My Florilegium is on the web at:
http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html )