ANST - Lard

Mon Sep 20 14:07:00 PDT 1999

Lard is a pretty good substitute for lard.  It is available in stick form
and by the bucket.  About the same price as solid vegetable shortening.

If there are health or religious issues.  Crisco or some other solid 100%
vegetable shortening makes about the best substitute.

If you are using this in pastry or a similar dish, I recommend sticking to
the solids, as solid and liquid fats have different characteristics when
blended into a recipe.  If you are planning to fry in it, vegetable oil,
olive oil, corn oil, etc. can be substituted, although they do not handle as
high a heat as the solid shortenings, which may be an issue if you are
trying to flash cook a dough.

You might try substituting mint for pennyroyal.  There are two different
plants that I know of with the name pennyroyal.  Mentha pulegium is the
Eurasian mint which produced the aromatic oil used in medieval Europe.
Hedeoma pulegioides is North American pennyroyal whose aromatic oil is used
in insect repellent.  I've never experimented with the stuff, so I don't
know if the two can be used interchangeably.

Bear