ANST - Newcomers

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Sun Apr 2 13:12:39 PDT 2000

On Sun, 02 Apr 2000 12:05:00 -0500 Scot and Domino Eddy
<domino7 at texas.net> writes:
> I wonder if a largish, say 4 foot long, white banner with big black
> letters
> saying "INFORMATION" would make a difference at a fighter practice
> or other
> events/meeting. Put a table out with flyers, photo album with a good
> cross
> section of SCA info, local newletters, etc Place this at the
> outskirts of the
> fighter practice so that the interested newcomer won't feel so
> nervous
> approaching. Have the Hospitaler hang around the general area to
> answer
> questions.

	I could possibly see that, if the Hospitaller consistently showed up at
fighter practice. I get the impression that fighter practice attracts
more newcomers than any other single thing that happens, yet in four
kingdoms over 15 years I have yet to see a fighter practice regularly
attended by the Hospitaller.
	In the absence  of the Hospitaller, the job would probably end up
falling on the Marshal's shoulders. While I don't know the procedure in
other baronies, here in the Steppes the Marshal hauls out 2 1/2 sets of
loaner armor, 4 loaner swords, 2 loaner shields, the Marshalate box
(waivers, cards, etc.), the Marshalate regs book, and a cooler full of
gatorade, juice and ice. This in addition to her own stuff (chair, rug,
shade) every sunday. Her car is packed full pretty much all the time.
	I think I can safely assume that, were we to volunteer the Marshal to
also keep track of a banner, flyers, photos, Steppesletters, Black Stars,
etc. (most of which can't stand even a minute or two of rain), she would
not be happy.

	It sounds like a great idea, but it needs someone who is both committed
to making it happen, and isn't already committed to something else.

								Iain MacCrimmon