ANST - Royal Huntsman

Debbie Dewart darcy at seacove.net
Mon Apr 3 09:51:14 PDT 2000

>Phelim "Pug" Gervase said something like:
>
>From my own personal view, and some I've talked to, it's a simple matter
>of time. It simply takes a long time to do the competition.

What is to long?  The IKCAC can be shot in about 30 minutes depending on how
many arrows the archer shoots and how long it takes to walk down range and
retrieve the arrows.  The IKAC takes  about an hour.  Both of these times
will be affected by the number of archers shooting.

How long does it take to fight in a tourney?  From 19 years of playing in
the SCA I have observed this takes several hours.

So you're right there:  it is a matter of personal perspective.  For one
person waiting around a tourney field for several hours to fight a few
minutes in his/her bouts may not seem like a long time and  taking an hour
to shoot an archery competition may seem like forever.

If you and others are having trouble finding the time to shoot the
competitions then come to the archery shoots that I and my lord Gilli have
scheduled throughout the year.  Our next one is the weekend before the 4th
of July.  See upcoming Black Star's for details or this list, or e-mail us
privately.

>When I can go do it at my leisure, I am likely to do it. When they only
>occur at certain times, it is likely to be a problem with already busy
>schedules.

The only events I know where the IKAC and IKCAC compettions can be run all
day while still having other archery shoots at the same time is an all
archery event like Academy of the Bow.  At most events, the competitions and
the other shoots have to be scheduled around usage of the same ranges.  Yes,
it would be nice if archers could come and  shoot the competitions at their
leasure but then there would be no time to shoot some of the fun stuff like
string shoots and the combat archery golf at this past Southern Regional
Festival.  This strikes me as a matter of personal priority.  If you want to
shoot the competitions you will make the time to do it.

>I am making an effort now to try and do the IKAC shooting whenever it
>is available and I am present though. I was sorry this last weekend that
>the stuff during the day took so long that I couldn't shoot it, but that
>is a good side-effect of lots of people having fun shooting.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the event.  I sorry you didn't make it to the
archery range where you might have witnessed me earning my new title "Random
Lady".

Always in service.

HL Darcy Evaline o Lasgwm
Proud member of the Archery Community
Lady of House Ursa Dormant - an Archery Household