ANST - Rewarding Archery (was:Is the Crown Watching?)

Galen of Bristol pmitchel at flash.net
Mon Apr 3 14:26:34 PDT 2000

Galen of Bristol here...

Lady Innes, former Archery Defender of Elfsea, wrote:
> Vivat! Countess Octavia,

Agree.

> I feel that you did an outstanding job at getting to as many activities
> as possible.

Certainly, I saw that Dafydd & Octavia did their best; I think virtually
all rulers do their best to see as much as they can.  One thing I'll
tell you, though, is what I learned autocratting ATYC:  Ansteorrans
want multiple activities going on all the time.  You can't just hold a
tourney, then stop and go have archery.  Fighters want to fight all
day, archers want to shoot all day, swashers want to swash all day,
and so on.  When everything is happening at once, it's impossible
to watch it all.

> However,  We in ansteorra have had many kings and queens that apparently
> dont try to even make an apperance at many of the activities.  Nor are
> they apparently
> interested in even recognizing some of the activities that are going on.

Well, I wouldn't presume to guess the motivations of the rulers; I just ask.
I've never asked about a ruler's interest in archery, so I don't know.

The only ruler whose interest in archery I have reliable information on
is the next Baron of Elfsea:  that is, myself.  (Y'all come to Elfsea's
Investiture at Spring Faire next month.)

_I_ am very interested in archery.  The tournament to choose the next
Archery Defender of Elfsea (in September) will be as high-persona, with
as much pageantry, as I can arrange.  Never mind getting a noble to
sponsor you, archers will need to hire heralds.  There'll be prizes for
style as well as the title that goes to the victor, be sure to look good,
and consider how your persona would conduct himself in such a tourney.
There'll be a prize for the best herald.  The Baron & Baroness (and
hopefully
the King & Queen) will be sitting in their thrones behind the shooting line
watching, cheering and wagering.  Hopefully, many more spectators will
join us.  This will be the first thing Saturday morning at the event,
_right_
after morning court.  While the fighters are just getting started with armor
inspection.  If the archers come out and make this a success, it'll be a
new tradition in Elfsea.  I've seen this done successfully in the past, and
I have high hopes for this.

- Viscount Galen of Bristol