ANST - Kingdom Calendar Changes

Filemaker paul_mitchell at filemaker.com
Tue Apr 18 10:25:55 PDT 2000

Galen here...

Stefan asked:
> What does this "protected" date mean? Do all Baronies get a "protected"
> date for one of their two events? What about Shires and Cantons?

The correct term is not "protected" but "reserved".  This means that
the group has permission to hold their event on that date every year.
It does _not_ mean that other groups may not also hold events on
the same date, in conflict with the barony's local event.  Shires and
Cantons do not have annual reserved dates on the calendar.

> What is the purpose of having these "protected" dates, at least for
> sub-kingdom groups? I can easily understand the need for "protected"
> events for things like Crown Tournament and Coronation.

The purpose is to make planning for everyone easier.  When will
Steppes Warlord be?  Memorial Day weekend.  When will Namron
Protectorate be?  Columbus Day weekend.  When's Elfsea Defender?
Last weekend in September.  So if you're in a small group and want
to plan far in advance, and don't want one of these major events to
be scheduled opposite yours at the last minute, you'll find this a useful
policy.  At the same time, if you're down south, you can plan that
if you hold an event on Columbus Day weekend, you'll probably get
no one from up north, but perhaps can draw nearer people who can't
go as far as Namron for various reasons.

It came about, as I understand it, when the Crown granted to the Barony
of the Steppes a reservation in Kingdom Law for Steppes Warlord,
one year when Steppes agreed to move their Warlord Tourney, which
had for many years been held on Memorial Day weekend, to accomadate
Crown Tourney.  A later reservation was granted to Namron for their
Protectorate Tourney.  At the time, both of these events were originally
protected, that is, no other events could be held those weekends.

When I was Kingdom Seneschal (12 years or so ago), during a major
re-write of Kingdom Law, as protected dates were increasing for various
kingdom events, it was decided to make these events reserved, rather than
protected, and to offer each barony the opportunity to reserve one regular
weekend for its major event.  The only protected events, last I looked, were
Coronation and Crown Tourney.  Richard or Burke will correct me if that's
out of date.

Today in Ansteorra, having one reserved weekend on the Kingdom
Calendar is a perk that we extend to our baronies.

I think it's very nice of Bjornsborg to agree to move their reserved date
for the benefit of the Kingdom, but don't think it's particularly mean of
them not to do so for a new regional event.  Of course, since these dates
are fixed in Kingdom Law, a determined Crown could change any barony's
date at their pleasure.  I'm sure Bjornsborg wouldn't have faced that.

- Galen of Bristol
(y'all come to SpringFaire!)