ANST - Royal Huntsman

harry billings psobaka at mail.myriad.net
Mon Apr 3 17:09:48 PDT 2000

This year we will shoot the 23rd IKAC and the 14th IKCAC. I think that
archery as an inter kingdom activaty has been around for more than a day or two.
Yes the demands on the crown are great, but the least that they can do is
not put beariers up for archery. Yes archery takes place off in the back
beyond, has some thing to do with 100 yd. range of our weaponds. One oh SHIT
from an archer can have a bystander dead and the bystander does not even
have to be a bystander for the archery. As a rapier fighter you should be
aware of what went on to get reconsied and your sport could take place on
the list field when the heavy fighters left.
No one is asking their Majesties to stay at the range from the first "loose
to the last hold bows down" it would be nice to just have them show up for 5
min or so. They sit and "watch" thelist field for that long at most events.

>	Of course it would be nice.  For the first time ever we have an active
>rapier fighter, a Dona no less, sitting the throne in Ansteorra, and it is
>very nice indeed.  However, this is the first time in over twenty years that
>such has been the case, and rapier has had a far larger and more active
>community than archery for that entire time period.  Change takes time, and
>the fact that Their Majesties have seen fit to recognize a segment of our
>community that is becoming more visibly active, despite the fact that
>neither actively participates in the art, is a very good start.  While it
>would be nice for Their Majesties to make their presence seen on the archery
>range, they *do* have many demands on their time, and it's hard to fit
>everything in. While it's easier said than done, you must have patience!
>And, even more than that, archers must continue to be visibly active and
>supportive of our Kingdom -- thus is recognition gained over the long run.
>Eventually, as more and more people participate in archery, it is very
>likely that someone will sit the Sable Throne who is an active archer or, at
>least, has a great interest in it.
>
>>As for having the Royal Huntsman chosen by IKAC it is as
>>good as any however one bad day and a good archer is out
>>of the competition. I feel that a better method would be to
>>use a three score average from the previous year,
>>yea I know we don't have any one with a three score average
>>so we will have to make do with what we have.
>
>	Yes, well, one good day on the field and a King is made.  One bad day and a
>rapier fighter will not be Queen's champion or a chivalric fighter King's
>champion or Warlord.  Royal Huntsman is analogous to the offices of King's
>and Queen's champions, and a similar method of choosing the Royal Huntsman
>is logical.

I have to wounder about the motive, we had a royal archer but it only lasted
one year, lack of royal interest? I am tired of taking that first step we
have done it three times now. Shortly after I started shooting archery in
Ansteorra we were 3rd in IKAC and 2nd or 3rd in IKCAC. Scince then we have
been the best in the known world in IKCAC and 2nd or 3rd most years in IKCAC
till last year when all things seemed to go down the pipe. Our IKAC scores
have held about steady as far as the score goes, but we have lost ground to
the rest of the world, that old saying about grow or fall behind seem to be
here.
You may be "happy" with who ever is the "hot stick" being champion I would
hope for some thing better than that for an archery champion that represents
all archers in our fair Kingdom.
Did your "sport" not start off with a Grant award? If it was good for you
why not for me?
As for building the community it is hard to get the bricks and mortar to
bild with when there is "little" recontion and some times almost a hostile
attitude towards archers/archery.

>What it seems you're really asking for is recognition of
>consistent excellence on the range. We can point to the examples of other
>Kingdoms for such a recognition system, but until Ansteorran archers are a
>more visible and larger group, it is unlikely that such a system will be
>viable here.   I'd certainly like to see it happen -- I earned the
>recognition of "Marksman" in the East Kingdom before moving to Ansteorra
>(where a rotator cuff problem ended my target archery career).  Again,
>patience and persistence will eventually win out, but archers must find a
>way to bring themselves and archery to the foreground.  Make archery
>important to Ansteorra -- combat archers have already gained great respect
>on the melee field -- and keep building the community.
>
>	Please don't take any of the above as discouragement or patronization.  I
>know how frustrating it can be to work very hard for what may seem like only
>grudging recognition.  However, I learned a long time ago to look at things
>realistically, and perception is nine-tenths of reality.  The more important
>archery is perceived to be to our Kingdom, the more participation and
>recognition archery will receive.  Just keep plugging away, capitalize on
>the burst of interest in combat archery (I understand several people ordered
>combat-legal cross-bows at Gulf War), help Ansteorra to victory at a few
>more wars, and then see what happens!  In the meantime, Their Majesties'
>creation of a royal archery champion is a good first step.
>
>>Plachoya Sobaka some times I just have to stir things up.

Nothing personal just would like to not have to keep taking the same damn
hill so often. Every time you have to take the hill you lose good fighters
the more often you have to take the same hill the more fighters you lose.