ANST - Royal Huntsman

iainmacc at juno.com iainmacc at juno.com
Mon Apr 3 18:36:24 PDT 2000

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 19:37:29 -0500 psobaka at mail.myriad.net (harry
billings) writes:

> It is hard to address an issue when no one shows up to here the
> address.
> Gilli sets up a target range almost every time he sets up a combat
> range.
> The issue is that people have to chose where to put their
> entertainment
> dollar. And where they can get the most in return. In heavy fighting
> you can
> be a Knight in rapier fighting you can be a Don in A&S you can be a
> Laurel
> in service you can be a Pelican in archery you can be a Kings Archer
> (non
> AoA) and feel good, that goes with all the above, where are you
> going to
> spend you $200.00 to get started?

	While I suppose there is some truth to the above, the fact remains: I
have been in the SCA since 1983, am currently building my 3rd set of
armor have probably put over $500 into armor and weapons over the years.
I have never asked to be someone's squire, and still just ain't that
concerned about wearing a belt (other than to keep my pants up).
	I will concede that the recognition and awards probably would increase
interest. But it seems to me that somewhere along the line someone has to
"sell" the idea of archery to more people. There are plenty of people out
there who do whatever they do in the SCA just because it's fun, not for
the recognition. Judging only by what I have heard on this list, it
sounds as if the archery community needs to recruit some of those kind of
people.

								Iain MacCrimmon