ANST - Royal Huntsman

Lord Kainin Tepésa kainin at copycraft.com
Mon Apr 3 21:23:07 PDT 2000

    My lady does not have EMail access, but reads "over my shoulder"
to keep up with the current topics on this list. She has the
following to say on this current thread:

--------------------
I have patiently bided my time and listened to this thread of
bickering long enough. And whether or not I be overstepping my
bounds, I feel it is time for me to voice some opinions and deal with
the repercussions. I have been an archer for the past three years and
a local archery marshal for the past year to the month. The greatest
concern of my SCA career is not to gain all the awards and
advancement that I can scratch and claw into my possession but to
have an enjoyable time doing the things I love and try to bring a
little romance and chivalry to my drearily mundane life. If it so
happens that I earn recognition along the way, far be it for me to
complain about it. That is why I was thoroughly delighted that Their
Majesties saw
fit to give archers in this kingdom a little long-awaited respect
almost completely out of the blue. I understand that it is a long and
tiring road in  which we travel, but we will truly never get ANYWHERE
unless we actually start the journey. We finally have something to
shoot for (pun most definitely intended) and all anyone can think to
do is berate the very concept as though it were an insult to the very
depths of our souls. And then the thread has continued on miserably
whining about the recent decline in numbers alone. Has it ever
occurred to any of you that perhaps the problem lies not within the
nobility's or populace's lack of interest in archery but within the
infrastructure of archers in the kingdom itself?
Most archers in this kingdom have got a burr buried so deep in their
armor that they are almost unapproachable (I'm speaking from
first-hand experience). It is the most aloof and stand-offish CLIQUE
in the SCA. Perhaps we should all work on building archery from the
inside out, not waiting for others to come to us. If I were Their
Majesties
I believe I would have recanted on the whole affair and taken my
award back by now.

So thank you for your patience my lord King and my lady Queen from a
lone, grateful archer in a sea of unrest.

Signora Oriana Francesco
Baronial Yeoman and Archery Marshal for the Barony of Bonwicke
--------------------

     I have to agree with her totally. I was overjoyed to hear of this
boon that their Majesties granted the archers of the Kingdom, and
have been nought but totally shocked and appalled at the response to
this award. I am frankly embarrassed to be associated with you simply
by the fact that I shoot archery. I also have to agree with her that
the problems that archery is facing (low numbers, low respect) is
based on the cliquish behavior of the biggest proponents of the
growth of the sport. Personally if I was not an archer and I read
this current thread, I would never go anywhere near an archery field.
Stop blaming other people outside of the sport for the problems with
archery, and start looking for blame in our own backyard.

THANK YOU YOUR MAJESTIES FOR THIS AWARD TO RECOGNIZE THE ARCHERS OF
THE KINGDOM, THE EFFORT IS APPRECIATED HERE, IN YOUR OLD HOME, IF
NOWHERE ELSE.

Kainin

In service to the Dream,

Lord Kainin Tepesa