ANST - Royal Huntsman

Pat Mullins padric at astrosfan.net
Mon Apr 3 22:57:54 PDT 2000

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 08:17:49 -0500 Dwayne Hope <brendan_mcewan at email.msn.com> wrote:

>> As for having the Royal Huntsman chosen by IKAC it is as good as any
>however
>> one bad day and a good archer is out of the competition. I feel that a
>> better method would be to use a three score average from the previous
>year,
>> yea I know we don't have any one with a three score average so we will
>have
>> to make do with what we have. Also as to shooting IKAC's they may be shot
>at
>> any "offical" archery practis. I like to be able to shoot IKAC's at events
>> but for my two cents when shooting for champion I would rather see some
>> innovation in the competition, but hthat is just my peculiar way of doing
>> things.
>> Plachoya Sobaka some times I just have to stir things up.
>
>While that would be nice, that is the nature of a competition.  Queen's
>Champion (fill in your tournament of choice) is chosen on 'one day of
>fighting'.  It would not make much sense to have a fighter fight 3 different
>tournaments and have the one with the lowest score win.  The beauty of a one
>shot deal, is it could be your one day to do really well.  Maybe overall,
>you would never do that well but once in a while.  Taking an average gets
>the best, but the best tend to stay their and that would never give anyone
>else a chance. (hope this makes sense)
>
>Brendan

The way the Huntsman tourney is to be run is more akin to having all the participants in Crown (or Queen's, or whatever) fight ONCE the day of the Tourney, then deciding the winner based on who fought the best. Perhaps a better way would be to shoot dual matchups in a standard double elim tourney format. The matchups need not be a full, official IKAC round, a half round could be shot in each tourney round. In a double elim tourney, each archer would then shoot a full, official IKAC score, even if the were eliminated with losses in the first two turns. If the Huntsman is to be afforded the same stature as the King's Champion and the Queen's Champion, shouldn't they select the one who is the best in a day of competition, rather than who is luckiest in a single round?

See Gilli, even non-archers can have ideas.
Padric   (v8

Signup for your FREE Houston Astros Fan E-Mail account at http://www.astrosfan.net!