ANST - Royal Huntsman

Rayburn, Timothy TRayburn at healthaxis.com
Tue Apr 4 06:15:35 PDT 2000

 > It is hard to address an issue when no one shows up to here the address.
 > Gilli sets up a target range almost every time he sets up a combat range.
 > The issue is that people have to chose where to put their entertainment
 > dollar. And where they can get the most in return. In heavy fighting you
can
 > be a Knight in rapier fighting you can be a Don in A&S you can be a
Laurel
 > in service you can be a Pelican in archery you can be a Kings Archer (non
 > AoA) and feel good, that goes with all the above, where are you going to
 > spend you $200.00 to get started?
 >
 > Plachoya Sobaka a humble archer in Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra
 > Southern Reagional Archery Marshal

And in equestrian you can only get the Golden Bridle, non-armigerous award.

There is an award for Archery, it is called the King's Archer of Ansteorra.
Despite the 'great unseen masses' who shoot archery according to some on
this list, the names of the holders of that award are the exact people I
would expect.  They are the finest archers in the kingdom, active in
forwarding their art and often frustrated that they cannot seem to forward
it more.

The Lion of Ansteorra is a non-armigerous award, would any of you care to
tell me that receiving that award is meaningless?  Or even that it's
armigerous status has anything to do with the esteem with which it is held?

There have been 7 rulers since the inception of the KAA.  With 17 given out
that is just about 2.5 KAA's per reign.  Not bad, most reigns don't have
that many White Scarves made... many reigns don't even have that many
Queen's Rapiers given.

The importance of an award is the importance the community puts upon it.
The rapier community treats the White Scarves as the ultimate achievement of
our art because it is the highest award.  The Lion is respected because it
is rare, and because of the quality of the people who possess it.  So here's
my suggestion :

Start treating the KAA like what it is : The ultimate achievement of your
artform.  Have the people who possess this award take students, mark those
students so that all can see (please, something that isn't red, I'll be
happy to assist anyone with my heraldry experience here).  For those who
have the KAA, act like you possess the highest award in your art!  Be
leaders, and lead by example.

As a side note I would also petition the crown (through Lord Fearghus I'd
suggest as Kingdom Deputy Earl Marshall for Archery) to change the name of
the KAA.  I'm positive that there are members of the College of Heralds (me,
me, me) that would be willing to assist you with this project.

Timothy of Glastonbury
Archer
Rapier Fighter
Forerynel Pursuivant of the College of Heralds of Ansteorra