ANST - Royal Huntsman

Fearghus lordfearghus at home.com
Tue Apr 4 16:36:10 PDT 2000

I have been sitting back and watching these 'discussions' about
awards and titles with great dismay. When His Majesty approached
me about a new royal champion I was ecstatic. We, as an archery
community, were rewarded with a great recognition that would put us
on the same playing field as the rest of the Martial activities that are
practiced in Ansteorra. Here was an opportunity not only to recognize
an archer, but an opportunity to bring to the spotlight archers as a whole.
His Majesty chose an IKAC shoot as the  method of choosing Their
Champion in order that we, as a Kingdom, could also submit these
scores to be used in the Inter Kingdom Archery Competition.

I want very much for the community that I serve to be recognized and
rewarded for its efforts and contributions to our great Kingdom. But
as has been stated, we are what we make ourselves to be. No, we
don't have an armigious award specifically for Archery, but we do have
an award that recognizes archers that make sigificant contributions to
our art. The Kings Archer that I wear on my belt means a great deal to
me. I don't look at it as something to say, "Look at what I did". I look at
it as something that someone else looked at me and said, "I appreciate
what you do."

I have been playing this game now for almost five years. I became our
Barional Archery Marshal after only playing for about 8 months. I became
a regional marshal after only a year. I look at what I do as a means to
further my love for one the most 'period' things that we do.

This new championship, the "Royal Huntsman", represents another
step in the direction of increased recognition for archery in Ansteorra.
As archers, and as Ansteorrans, we must stay on the path, keep on
going down this road.  Just when the Crown says, "hey, you need more
recognition", is no time to complain about lack of recognition.  I think
we've earned this, and I have no doubt we'll earn more recognition in
the future.  But we have to keep going down this road.  We've taken
an important step; this is no time to ask to be carried the rest of the
way.

All I can say about this is if you want our activity to be recognized then,
teach, shoot, and be visible. One of my greatest joys with this sport is
teaching someone, who has never picked up a bow, how to shoot or
teaching our children how to shoot. (Remember they are our future.)

Lord Fearghus MacKenna
Kingdom Archery Marshal