ANST - see no need for cookies?!

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Apr 6 09:52:40 PDT 2000

Tuhtahl replies to Isabeau with:
> > Isabeau writes:
>         >>>> I just want to say that the comment of "small group of
> > people....not enough to have a need for cookies" reallly  just shocked
> > the spit right out of me. How about cookies are  how we let people know
> > that they belong to our group and are contributing to it?<<<<
> >
> I agree. Make mine chocolate chip.
>
> Alaric Styrr,
> called Tuhtahl of the Moritu

While perhaps only made in humor, there is a lot of truth in his
answer.

Why must a thank you be a shiney trinket or award? Yes, it is nice
to have that official award from the King, but sometimes other
things can mean as much to the recipient. Afterall, that award
from the Royalty may be coming second hand. The Royalty may not
know you or what you have done. They may simply be acting upon
recommendations passed on to them.

If you bake decent chocolate chip cookies (or perhaps something
more period), make some up and hand them out to people whose
work or efforts catch your eye.

Duke Cariadoc makes silver rings which he hands out to bards
and other performers. These rings have no official standing, but
they are appreciated and treasured by those who receive them.

If you would like some ideas on what might be good items for this,
take a look at the largess-ideas-msg file in the SCA-INC section
of my Florilegium.

While I have recieved a Sable Crane for the work I've done
with the Florilegium, I have gotten thank yous and thank you
letters from folks all across the Known World, from Queens
and Baronesses and Peers to folks who have no awards at all
or whom aren't even in the SCA. It is often those simple
words of thanks that help keep me going when I think about
chucking the whole thing.

Please consider simply telling someone thank you or gifting
them with an item when you see someone going out of their
way to help bring "The Dream" alive for you.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net
(The largess-ideas-msg file is at:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-INC/largess-ideas-msg.html )