ANST - proposal - was: Black Star - Action!

j'lynn yeates jyeates at realtime.net
Sun Aug 6 12:32:55 PDT 2000

instead of venom, how about rational discussion on ways to fix a real
and seemingly recurring problem ??? ...

> On 6 Aug 2000, at 12:11, TxLadyJuliana at aol.com wrote:
>
> > But that is not the point. Many of rely on getting the Black Star
> > before an event not during or after the event is over.
> > Coronation is a perfect example. It would have made finding to
> > event site  much easier if I had my July Black Star. As it was I
> > spent 30 minutes driving around Athens looking for the site.

having been a newsletter editor in other circles, it by its nature is
a totally thankless job especially when "stuff happens".  problem is
that the BS is the "official" notification channel and the
information that it provides is often time critical. as such, the
membership can be severly impacted if that information is late or
missing for whatever reason.

the kingdom now has a "official" internet server, lets use it as a
resource to solve the problem.  what would be wrong with making a
policy that official information be "published" electronically in a
mirrored format as well as on tradional dead tree product .... this
is the modern world and the modern world is a wired one, so it's
really time to go with the flow of modern information realities.  not
to mention that the kingdom is wealthy in information workers who are
capable of the process.

personally, i (and many others) would find a electronic version
***far*** more useful than a printed one (and would reduce the back
issue clutter) ... case, it would be a simple matter to cut-n-past a
event announcement to my outlook calander so all pertinent
information is sitting there when i need it (without having to hunt
up or wait on the printed BS ... g)

biggest benefit of electronic publication, in this system is paper
product is late people are not unduely inconvenienced.  another plus,
all base material is electronic prior to printing, so the source
materials are there already.  having an online version would open the
door to a system where event and other newsletter data could be
submitted electronically at further cost and time savings.

in the ideal system ... those who only want the information can get
the information, those who want the "product" can get the product (to
keep the traditionalists happy, i would suggest a opt-out system
where the default is paper but receiver has option to terminate it if
they desire ... yeah, i know it would require chnages up the line to
corporate, but i'm talking about a ideal solution ... the real one is
somewhere between that and what we have now) ... added benefit, would
be fewer paper versions required at a lesser cost to the kingdom - an
important consideration now that postage looks like it will keep
going up and up as more information moves into the electronic formats
(issues of scale).

i would suggest that the proposal has sufficient merit that it be
added to the agenda of the next kingdom business meeting ... it at
least deserves a trial run.

'wolf

side bar note: and please, none of the tired old arguements that not
all people have or can afford web access ... they all know someone
who does who can print out what they need or they can go to one of
many public access points ... if this arguement has any validity in
the present, then there is no valid reason for the kingdom using
kingdom funds to buy and support a server solely for the "elite few"
.... we have it, it's accepted, old arguements against web publishing
can be proved invalid by association.